Wednesday, January 2, 2013

2013 Siesta Scripture Memory Team

One of my goals this year is to memorize 24 verses with the Siesta Scripture Memory Team from the LPM blog. I'm a big fan of Beth Moore and her ministry and have been moved many times from her bible studies. I read about the Scripture Memory Team last year but this year, I decided I really wanted to try and reach the goal of memorizing 24 bible verses this year.
 
I know the verses I grew up memorizing but as an adult, I've failed at trying to learn any new ones. I'm not saying if you can quote the bible, it makes you more of a Christian, this is something I've personally wanted to do to be able to help recall verses whenever I need a reminder during a temptation or trial I will encounter this year.
 
So, here I go! I've got my trusty little index card spiral to write my verses down in.
 
 
If you see me, please ask me how I'm doing. Please hold me accountable.
 
My first verse reflects my attitude for 2013: To Choose Joy! There are so many things in this world to get us down but even in the down times, I will choose Joy. There may be situations that happen that are beyond my control but I can control how I respond to them. My first verse to memorize is:
 
"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in my God my Savior"
Habakkuk 3:18 (NIV)
 
I know that Habakkuk isn't your commonly quoted scripture but after a sermon from our Pastor last year about choosing joy and many devotionals that have mentioned this verse, I knew it was something I needed to remember. The verse before verse 18 speaks how if if there is no crop, no cattle, no grapes on the vines, then...verse 18 Habakkuk will still rejoice in the Lord and be joyful in his God and Savior. Back in Habakkuk's day, if there was no crop, no cattle, you were basically without food and would be devastated. I don't know what 2013 holds but I know who holds it. There may be more bad times than good, more good than bad. Whatever happens, I will Choose Joy. Please Choose Joy with me this year! Happy 2013!


1 comment:

Kati said...

I love this! I haven't written down a bunch of resolutions but I did ponder the goal of memorizing a verse a week. So let's ask each other to recite our verses! :-)